Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

About Me

ellesmere port, CHESHIRE, United Kingdom

JOIN BIRDGUIDES TODAY!

17 May 2017

SHORELARK-HILBRE ISLAND-WIRRAL

On Sunday a visiting birder to Hilbre Island found a Shorelark.Thankfully the bird has hung around since then so on my day off from work today I visited the Islands.
There were good numbers of waders around as I made my way over as the tide was going out.Dunlin were in good numbers and also Ringed plovers,Knot and a Whimbrel flew down the side of middle eye.
 RINGED PLOVER
 DUNLIN
KNOT
The Islands look fantastic this time of year and were covered in Thrift and Birds foot trefoil.

Walking on to the Island and past the lookout the Shorelark flew over me calling and landed on a wall down near the sea hide.

The bird then flew back towards the lookout and landed on the gravel path and showed really well.




SHORELARK
After great views of the bird I started the long walk back to the car.
A VIEW FROM HILBRE ISLAND LOOKING DOWN THE DEE ESTUARY
This was only my third sighting of this species in Cheshire and Wirral since January 1997 when there were two birds present on the ICI tank at Frodsham Marshes.